Thursday, November 11, 2010

"The worth of souls..."

In the book of Luke, chapter eight, is one of my favorite stories in all of scripture.  Jesus Christ is approached by a man named Jairus, whose daughter was dying.  Jairus pleaded with Christ to come and heal her, and the Master agreed.  He began to follow Jairus through the city, and as it states in verses 42 through 48:

"But as he went the people thronged him.

"And a woman having an issue of blood twelve years, which had spent all her living upon physicians, neither could be healed of any,
  
"Came behind him, and touched the border of his garment: and immediately her issue of blood stanched.

"And Jesus said, Who touched me? When all denied, Peter and they that were with him said, Master, the multitude throng thee and press thee, and sayest thou, Who touched me?     UAdd a Note 
  
"And Jesus said, Somebody hath touched me: for I perceive that virtue is gone out of me.
  
"And when the woman saw that she was not hid, she came trembling, and falling down before him, she declared unto him before all the people for what cause she had touched him, and how she was healed immediately.
  
"And he said unto her, Daughter, be of good comfort: thy faith hath made thee whole; go in peace."

This story is so incredible to me, for many reasons, but the one that has really stood out to me lately is how personally Christ knew everyone, including this woman.

Each one of us truly is a son or a daughter of God, and He knows us perfectly.  He knows those things that we struggle with, along with the things we find joy in.  He knows what we stand in need of, and wants to bless us with everything that we need.

I have found, though, that not only am I a child of God, but so is everyone around me.  Often times, the way that God reaches out to His children is through others, already here on Earth.  As we focus our efforts on those around us, rather than ourselves, we can feel God's love for them, and have a greatly increased desire to help and assist them in any way possible.

The scriptures are full of many stories, and Elder Dennis B. Neuenschwander said, in April 2008,

"In reality these stories are not about crowds but individuals among those crowds. They are really about you and me. All of us are among the crowds of this world. Almost all of us are like the woman who, despite the crowd, comes to the Savior. We all have faith that just a touch will bring healing to our aching souls and relief to our innermost needs."

How often do we see someone around us who is struggling, and yet we do nothing to help ease their burden or lighten their day?  I struggle with that so often, that for whatever reason, I don't feel it is my place to step in.  Of course it is, though!  Jesus Christ, although He was always busy and about His Father's business, found time to reach out to the individual, to comfort them and address their needs.  I think that is largely because Our Father's business is entirely focused on the one, that everything He does is to help an individual, at times many individuals, to come closer to Him and make those changes in their lives that will allow them to receive more happiness.

The gospel of Jesus Christ is not a blanket statement, something that everyone has to conform themselves to in order to be happy.  Rather, it is a means for each individual to reach out to God, to have their questions answered, their concerns and burdens lifted, and to ultimately find true happiness.  There is a pattern set for us, but in the end, we all have to find our personal connection with God.

I know that God is there, and that He loves us.  I have felt His influence in my life, and I have seen how He has blessed me and others around me.  I know that each of us is a child of God, and that He knows us perfectly.  Part of what we are here to do is to learn to love as He loves.


"Remember the worth of souls is great in the sight of God."

No comments:

Post a Comment